MASKS ON MASKS


MASKS ON MASKS

Ocassionally (rarely) you may want to add a mask to an existing mask but unfortunately it’s not just a case of adding another mask using the mask button. If this seems unnecessary, I’ll give an example of why you might want this.

Here I have a layer that has a mask. I want to keep the original layer intact (to collapse a mask, right-click on it and choose ‘Apply Mask’) to edit later, I want to keep the mask shape intact to edit later but I also want to apply a fade to the layer.




-        Create a layer, paint some stuff on it.

-        Add a mask, paint some black on it

-        Press Ctrl+G to add the layer to its own group

-        Add a mask to this group

Now you have the original layer preserved, the original mask preserved and a new mask slightly altering the combined layer and mask.

Personally, when I’m painting, I flatten the image a lot. I tend not to work with many layers but sometimes you need to keep some layers or mask editable for a while, while you tend to other parts of the image.

Popular posts from this blog

Create a Realistic Wine Bottle Illustration From Scratch

Night Before Christmas : Photoshop Tutorial And WallPaper

Create a Vector Style Illustration in Photoshop